I can’t wait for university, you get awesome 3 month summers – some poor deluded sixth form student
I find myself laughing at the naivety of the young, unaware students starting university in September, the thought of a three month summer is incredibly appealing I agree, but it just isn’t the reality. Now, I’m not saying that I wasn’t one to think like that 2 years ago, but I guess retail brings the ‘pessimistic polly’ out of you.
Essentially, I’m just a bitter retail employee, awaiting the beauty of sale fortnight that starts tomorrow…. I work in a school uniform shop 6 days a week, 8 hours a day (Great 3 month summer guys!), which as you can imagine, is the epitome of ‘complete chaos!’ Just an FYI, many a rant and a story will appear on here in the next few weeks!
Okayyyy, maybe that’s a bit extreme, but it gets my point across rather nicely. My job would be a dream… if it wasn’t for the customers…
This is my second summer in said job, and I am still amazed at what gets thrown at me ad-midst the whirlwind of school uniform buying. Below are just a few of my favourite!
- (Parent enters the day before the children go back to school) “I want a full uniform for [insert school]” in my most polite voice “I’m sorry, but we haven’t got a few of those items in stock”, “BUT WHY!? this is appalling, you’re a school uniform shop and you can’t supply me with uniform, this is a joke!”, “By all means I can order them for you, but it won’t be in in time for school, we have been selling them all summer”. Essentially, what I want to say is, you come in the day before school what do you bloody expect!?
- “We don’t stock many of that size, but by all means I can order it for you” “ARE YOU CALLING MY CHILD FAT!?” “No, I am simply saying we don’t have any of that size in stock”
- “I’m sorry, we don’t stock that uniform, you have to order it from the school” “I’m going through a divorce at the moment, and your just adding pressure to my life that I just don’t need right now” …. Who knew that I contribute to marital arguments, it’s only a summer job after all!
- “The price of this blazer is astronomical”, ” I’m sorry, we don’t set the prices, we just sell it”, “You just like to bleed us dry! and enjoy exploiting us because you can” ,”Like i said, we don’t set the prices, the school does” , “Taking us for mugs!” … Do you think that they actually understood that I DON’T SET THE PRICES
- (Parent orders item of clothing) (Comes in the next day) “Is my order in yet, I’ve waited long enough” …. let me just go and call my personal rocket fueled owl to deliver it to you !
And the list continues, I get shouted at, sworn at and blamed for life on a daily basis… all I want to do is earn some money to pay for rent (for a house that I don’t live in for 3 months …. but that’s another story!) and to have a little bit of a life (not that I have any time!)
So as you can imagine, tomorrow is the start of sale fortnight, and I have got the above and more to look forward to! Uni might drive me to despair sometimes but anything has to better than retail rages and ques down the street!
If you don’t hear from me in the next week, I have been killed by a parent stampede or have actually been called to court for ruining somebody’s life!
Wish me luck!
A very tired retail employee!